During our chaotic adult schedules we often find ourselves succumbing to disorganized panic and derailing thoughts. Why is this happening? The answer is our lifestyle. If you work in a high stress and hectic office then you are most likely running from meetings to take conference calls, send emails and meet with co-workers about projects.
It is easy to become distracted with technology and in person meetings and let small details slip to the wayside. The same is true for stay at home parents that are busy shuffling kids from school to activities. It may not seem as chaotic as a day in the office but depending upon the ages of the children many parents run non-stop from the minute the wake up until the minute they go to bed. Often times these busy parents will instantly remember something they forgot during the course of the day and then rush around to tend to that as well.
Parents of older children usually have older parents that also rely on them for occasional help as they age. Caring for your babies, children and your parents while trying to stay mentally alert can cause sleep deprivation, stress and mental fog. Is there a way to combat forgetfulness? Is there a way to stay on top of tasks and become more organized? The answer is yes.
There are a few things that you can do throughout your day that will help keep you on task and enhance your focus and memory. One of the first things you should do is utilizing the technology that you have for good rather than distraction purposes. It is easy to get caught up scrolling through social media or playing video games. Dismiss these apps and familiarize yourself with your calendar and planner apps.
As soon as you make plans for yourself or your family you need to log those plans into your calendar app. When a co-worker or child comes to you with a project and a deadline be sure to place that in your calendar as well. You can set reminders for a week before something is due and a day before something is due. This will be a great electronic reminder that will help keep you focused and on track. Technology can fail us sometimes. It is easy to lose a phone or simply have one die. It is beneficial to keep a paper planner at home or in your office and relay all digital calendar information into this old fashioned pen and paper method as a backup.
Aside from easy organization people tend to turn to caffeinated beverages, energy drinks or supplements to keep them going and enhance energy levels. There is nothing wrong with enjoying a cup of java or some delicious tea to kick start a day but it is easy to become addicted to caffeine and reliant on it to simply function throughout your tasks. Mass produced energy drinks are often chalk full of dangerous ingredients that can cause unnatural side effects to the heart and body.
Many people end up become so over energized that they are unable to have a restful night of sleep once their body becomes accommodated to these drinks or supplements. You can easily enhance your focus and memory by diffusing essential oils and enjoying the health benefits of aromatherapy blends. Essential oils such as:
- peppermint essential oil
- sage oil
- sandalwood oil
- lavender essential oil
- vetiver oil
- patchouli essential oil
- ylang ylang essential oil
- rosemary oil
- basil oil
- frankincense essential oil
are all known for reducing stress, promoting relaxation, relieving tension, improving focus and stimulating mental clarity. Essential oils are all natural and you will not become addicted to them to get through your day but you may find yourself enjoying them so much that you utilize them more frequently. Young Living Essential oils are derived from plants and the actual essence of the plant is captured in its most concentrated form.
When using essential oils you will only need a small amount to get maximum results, this is why the bottles are smaller. Each oil offers unique properties but many overlap and offer the same benefits as a different oil will but has a different aroma. It is fun to create your own customized blends with appealing scents to immerse yourself in.
- Frankincense promotes a restful night’s sleep and helps reduce anxiety and stress levels. You can tackle your day more effectively when you are well rested.
- Vetiver has shown to help enhance focus for individuals with ADHD because it calms panic attacks and anxiety with its calming aroma. The scent of vetiver is quite exotic and refreshing. If you find yourself becoming easily distracted you should definitely add Vetiver to your arsenal of oils.
- Peppermint oil improves clarity and diminishes food cravings that can often leave us irritable.
- Lavender oil is often used for children and adults to help increase restfulness at night and concentration during day hours.
- Patchouli oil has been shown to release serotonin and dopamine which are chemicals the body naturally creates to increase focus.
- Rosemary oil has been used as a cognitive enhancer for years. It is best mixed with carrier oil and massaged gently into the temples. Once massaged in you should sit back and relax and focus for a few minutes while inhaling the calming yet invigorating scent. Once you have inhaled a few hearty breaths you will feel instantly more aware and ready to go back to your task at hand.
- Basil and sage have been both been shown to improve awareness and memory skills for individuals that regularly diffuse them.
The best way to benefit from these powerful attention increasing oils is to diffuse them. You can purchase a portable car oil diffuser and enjoy the invigorating aroma during your commute time to help increase your focus and boost your memory. During the morning hours when preparing for your day you should diffuse your favorite blends in your home.
A diffuser in your bedroom at night will also be beneficial to help you achieve a restful sleep. Oils such as lavender are known for their calming factors that can help you drift off with a clear mind and less tension. You can also mix a few drops in carrier oil and apply directly to your skin on the temples and wrists for fast results. These powerhouse essential oils each offer unique properties that are beneficial for your health.